Zurich - Badi
Zurich - Badi
Floating downstream on the Limmat River and then getting dried by the sun on the lawn or the wooden deck is part of a successful summer for Zurich residents.
For almost 200 years now, they have known how to appreciate their city’s river bathing areas. The Limmat runs from the Old Town to the former industrial area and further on to the outskirts of the city. As a result, the five bathing pools each have their own character, whether it’s historical, urban or close-to-nature. And when the sun goes down at night, some of the bathing areas shine in a new light and serve as dance floors, open-air cinemas or stages. For urban life in Zurich, the river baths are much more than just swimming areas – the “Badis” [pronounced bad-ees] are valuable oases in the middle of the city.
Until 1837 public bathing for women was forbidden in Zurich. After the ban was abolished, the city set up a "Badhaus für Frauenzimmer" in the same year at the Stadthausquai. As there still was no running water in many of Zurich's homes at that time, the women's bath was intended only for personal hygiene at first and not as a swimming pool. In 1888, the bath was renovated in the style of Art Nouveau, which back then was considered to be modern and which it kept up to this day. The structure of the bath since then is a box-shaped wooden building complex swimming on the River Limmat and is moored to the shore. The construction is crowned by a dome and has four corner turrets. Since the end of the Second World War there is also a kiosk in the women’s bath, which offers small snacks. In 1997, the running of a bar in the evening was also permitted, to which men also have access. And, besides the Badi Unterer Letten, Badi Oberer Letten, the Seebad Enge and the Utoquai it is not the only bath in the middle of the city.
Since 1945 the city also has her own swimming competion, the "Limmat Swimming". Nowadays it rejoices in a great popiularity, being carried out annually in the summertime.